Yes - there is a world beyond Machine Learning!
The hike starts outside the Stevenson Event Center at 7:30 and ends at 9:30-10:00
Be on time!
You will learn about the natural history of the campus:
native peoples, redwoods, poison oak, gardens, limestone quarries, ...
Sa July 14 Aquarium trip
On Sa July 14 we are organizing a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's $50 including admission, which is an excellent deal. Enrollment is part of the registration package. Talk to the conference office asap if you still want to join
Su July 15 Big Basin Redwood National Park hiking
Recreation at UCSC
Free access for everybody
- Field ideal for Frisbee
- Running track with great view
- Beach volleyball
- Outdoor basketball
Facilities need a pass to access (rate ($7/day) and hours )
- Swimming pool
- Tennis courses
- Bike rides
There will be a moderate amount of alcohol.
The designated drivers Nie, Chris and Steven can bring you back to the dorms after the party
The event will be catered by a famous local chef Jozseph Schultz of India Joze
- Jozseph will teach you about asian fusion cooking
- Manfred can teach you about
* CAM plants
* fermented foods (Tempeh, Miso, Natto, Onchom, Krauting)
* producing food in the back yard
* Budding and grafting
* Biochar and Hydrothermal Carbonization for carbon sequestration
- Greame can show you some the equipment used for home brewing
- Ralf Herbrich, Manfred, Nicola and Stefan will lead some Mafia games
* bring your brain
The tours of the garden will start at 6pm.
Come early if you want to help
Bring a jacket or a sweater because it cools down at night